Winter House Fires
Did you know that according to the California State Firefighter's Association, December, January, February and March are the peak months for house fires?
The cause of these fires are primarily due to heating equipment such as space heaters. The different ways space heaters can cause a fire are:
- Lack of cleaning around space heaters and/or inside chimneys
- Placing heaters too close to combustibles
- Basic flaws in the design of the heater
- Leaks involving liquid or gas heaters
Here are some ways that you can help prevent winter fires and protect yourself and your family:
Turn off space heaters when leaving a room
- Give space heaters at least 3 feet clearance all the way around from household items
- Clean around space heaters regularly, especially inside of the chimney
- Install smoke detectors
- Keep a fire extinguisher in your home and educate yourself on how to use it
Unfortunately, even with precautions fires can still happen in your home. If you do suffer fire or smoke damage in your home, have no fear we are here to help! We have certified trained technicians that specialize in fire and smoke damage. Please call us, SERVPRO of Burbank (818) 842-1400.