What Is Black Mold?
The term black mold and associated health effects is often misunderstood. Largely resulting from many highly publicized news articles, consumers have been left with little information regarding mold and its effects. Stachybotrys chartarum is the type of mold often referred to as black mold produces allergens and irritants that can result in harmful health affects.
Mold of all species can grow wherever there is dampness and moisture such as bathrooms, garages, basements, kitchens, attics or other areas that have experienced flooding. While certain molds may be toxic, all molds should be removed from the home as quickly as possible to prevent growth. Media reports of “toxic black mold” have proven erroneous as the color of mold to the naked eye cannot tell you anything about whether it is toxic or not. With over 100,000 species in all types of sizes, shapes and colors, it is impossible to tell what type of mold you have without testing by a certified mold inspection professional.
If you have any mold growth within your home or business, your best bet is to contact your local experts at SERVPRO of Burbank to determine next steps.
Call us today at (818) 842-1400 to schedule an inspection today.
Learn more about mold and what to do until help arrives by visiting Mold Damage Tips.
How Do I Tell If It’s Black Mold?
Since many types of mold can cause reactions, you should contact us regardless of the color or type of mold. In many instances, multiple types of mold may exist in the same house or structure. If you suspect you have a mold problem, contact SERVPRO of Burbank immediately.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – (818) 842-1400
When water intrudes into your property, mold growth can start in as little as 48 hours. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic, float along in the air, and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor, and that odor can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
Locally Owned Company with National Resources
SERVPRO of Burbank is locally owned and operated—so we live and work here too and are proud to be part of this community. We are also part of a national network of over 1,600 Franchises with special Disaster Recovery Teams placed strategically throughout the country to respond to large scale disasters.
SERVPRO of Burbank proudly serves Burbank, Magnolia Park, and surrounding areas.